The Autism Program (TAP)
Information and Referral
TAP provides a variety of resources and supports to families of individuals with autism. We host various support groups and trainings, and refer families to additional resources available through other groups in the community. Our Resource Room holds a variety of materials for at-home teaching, including tools for teaching daily life skills and behavior management. Parents may also check out books and DVDs to learn more about issues related to ASD.
For Parents or Caregivers
- New Diagnosis Family Orientation Program: This two-session, multi-family group program is designed to provide introductory information about Autism Spectrum Disorders. The program provides an opportunity for families to ask questions and to meet other families who are on the same journey.
- Support and Networking Group for Parents of Children with Asperger Syndrome.
Find support through other parents with shared experiences at monthly drop-in meeting. Groups typically meet on the third Tuesday of the month from 11:30 AM- 12:30 PM.
- Residential Treatment Parent Support Group: Provides support to caregivers of children or adults living outside the home. Dates and times vary; contact TAP for more information.
- Family Assessment Portfolios: We offer free Family Assessment Portfolios (FAP), a customized resource that prepares children in transitioning from early childhood special education to kindergarten. A FAP introduces the child to educators in a personal and easy-to-use format, promoting communication and collaboration between the family and school.
For Children and Youth
- Social Skills Groups for children of various ages.
- Play groups for young children
Resources for Families
- Champaign County Transition Planning Committee: www.illinoistransition.org
- Champaign-Urbana Autism Network:
- Website: www.cuautismnetwork.org
- Email: email@example.com
- Listserve: http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/cuan-listserve
- The Center for Children’s Services- Applied Behavior Analysis: www.tcfcs.net
- Autism Speaks Family Services Resource Guide: www.autismspeaks.org/community/resources/index.php
- Autism Speaks Video Glossary with “Red Flags” and “Treatment” sections: http://www.autismspeaks.com
- Creating social stories at home: http://www.autismcommunityconnection.com
- IEP Chat Website- Offers an opportunity for parents, educators and other support personnel to communicate with each other about Individualized Education Programs: www.theautismprogram.org/autism-resource/iep-chat/
- Illinois Autism Training and Technical Assistance Project: http://www.illinoisautismproject.org
- Online Asperger Syndrome Information and Support Website (O.A.S.I.S.): http://www.aspergersyndrome.org
- The Autism Program of Illinois: www.theautismprogram.org
- “Wrong Planet”- web community for individuals with Asperger Syndrome: www.wrongplanet.net
- http://www.autisminternetmodules.org- free online modules with accessible and up-to-date-information on autism
- www.autism-watch.org – general information about autism
- www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/autism/complete-index.shtml - what is autism, what are the indicators, treatment options
- www.tonyatwood.au- guide for parents, professionals, people with Asperger Syndrome and their partners
Location & Contact
1005 Doris Kelley Christopher Hall
904 W. Nevada (Corner of Lincoln and Nevada)
Urbana, IL 61801
Resource Center Hours
Monday/Wednesday/Friday: 9:00am - 5:00pm
Tuesday/Thursday: 9:00am - 6:00pm
Saturday: 9:00am - Noon
**The first Thursday of each month we are open until 8:30pm**
Hours may be shorter during summer and university breaks